Skip to main content

New top story from Time: ‘Judge Me By My Actions.’ Trevor Lawrence Discusses the 2021 NFL Draft and Questions About His Work Ethic

https://ift.tt/3vvFjiL

Trevor Lawrence, the former Clemson star quarterback and presumptive top overall selection in the 2021 NFL draft—which begins Thursday—has had one hectic month of April. He’s prepping for the most important night of his football life. He married his longtime girlfriend, Marissa Mowry. (The honeymoon will have to wait). He signed endorsement deals with Gatorade, Topps, which has offered both physical trading cards and NFTs with his likeness, and the cryptocurrency investment app Blockfolio—his signing bonus was paid in crypto. On Wednesday morning, Lawrence announced he signed an endorsement deal with Adidas.

He’s also received a taste of the ridiculous headaches a franchise quarterback must endure.

Quarterback, more than perhaps any position in all of pro sports, unmasks the obsessiveness of sports fans. Especially a player like Lawrence, whom ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. rates as the fourth-best quarterback draft prospect since 1979, trailing only John Elway, Andrew Luck, and Peyton Manning. The expectations for franchise signal-callers fit a sort of prototype, epitomized best by Manning and Tom Brady: crazed competitors who devour playbooks and film sessions. Who live and breathe football until Super Bowl rings decorate their fingers.

So when Lawrence recently revealed in a Sports Illustrated cover story that he seemed to be a fellow with some work-life balance—gasp!—a little tizzy soon followed. His offenses included utterances such as “I don’t have this huge chip on my shoulder, that everyone’s out to get me and I’m trying to prove everybody wrong. I just don’t have that. I can’t manufacture that. I don’t want to.” And: “I think people mistake that for being a competitor. . . . I think that’s unhealthy to a certain extent, just always thinking that you’ve got to prove somebody wrong, you’ve got to do more, you’ve got to be better.”

What, no chip? Brady was selected with the 199th overall pick in the 2000 draft—so that guy had a chip. Lawrence is missing a chip, so some football fans and media types flipped out. Mowry, his now-wife, noted in the story that “there’s also more to life than playing football.” According to his dad, he’s not motivated by winning a Super Bowl “at all costs.”

To some, this was unacceptable. So much so, that Lawrence felt compelled to explain himself in the aftermath on Twitter. “I love football as much or more than anyone. It is a HUGE priority in my life, obviously,” he wrote in a three-Tweet thread. “I have a lot of confidence in my work ethic, I love to grind and to chase my goals. You can ask anyone who has been in my life. That being said, I am secure in who I am, and what I believe. I don’t need football to make me feel worthy as a person.” He thanked readers for or “coming to my TedTalk lol.”

Did the hubbub surprise Lawrence? “A little bit but at the same time no,” Lawrence tells TIME. “It’s just kind of the way things are now. It’s just what can people find to get mad about, to criticize?” He felt it was important to clear the air, in his own words, on Twitter. “If people still want to have an opinion on the way I think and the way I live, I don’t really care,” he says.

Lawrence says he may hold back his words going forward. He says he’ll be reminding himself that “if you don’t want a reaction, just don’t say anything. Or talk to anyone,” Lawrence says, sort of breaking his own advice. “That’s really the answer. Because no matter what you say, you could say it the perfect way, there’s always going to be something. So think that’s the learning lesson for sure.”

He doesn’t plan to be in Cleveland for the draft on Thursday night, watching at home instead with family and friends. Barring some earth-shattering development, the Jacksonville Jaguars, a team long overdue for a franchise quarterback, will snag Lawrence with the top pick: some Jags fans bought Lawrence and Mowry wedding gifts. “Thank you @Jaguars fans,” Lawrence wrote on Twitter. “We really appreciate the wedding gifts and donations for charities of our choice! In addition to the donations, Marissa and I will also be donating $20K to charities in Jacksonville. Thanks again, we hope to be a part of your community soon.”

Lawrence, who has never been to Jacksonville, says he doesn’t know much about city, besides its location in Florida and near the beach. He says he’ll learn more after Thursday. And if anyone, in Jacksonville or elsewhere, is still doubting his dedication? “Judge me by my actions,” Lawrence says. “If I were to go there and say, ‘football is every second, every day, my whole life I don’t care about anything,’ it wouldn’t matter if I don’t perform well. Either way I’ve still got to go out there and play, do well, and then at that point it doesn’t matter. I know how to work. I’m really confident in my work ethic. I don’t think really anyone outworks me. It’s just playing the long game and betting on yourself.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine nationalism will not shorten COVID pandemic, warns WHO chief https://ift.tt/3oqykEN

The World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has called for solidarity in the rollout of future coronavirus vaccines. In a video address at the opening of the three-day World Health Summit in Berlin, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus noted that it was natural for the countries to want to protect their own citizens first but, he urged, "we must also use it effectively". 

Black doctor dies of COVID-19 after racist treatment complaints https://ift.tt/3nR3RiK

A Black doctor who died battling COVID-19 complained of racist medical care in widely shared social media posts days before her death, prompting an Indiana hospital system to promise a “full external review" into her treatment.

New top story from Time: New York Police Seek Suspect After Elderly Asian American Woman Assaulted

https://ift.tt/2PLnYCU (NEW YORK) — An elderly Asian American woman was attacked by a man Monday afternoon who repeatedly kicked her in front of witnesses who seemingly stood by, according to surveillance footage released by the New York City Police Department. The 65-year-old woman was walking along 43rd street when a man came up to her and kicked her in the stomach, knocking her to the ground, the NYPD said. The man then stomps on the woman’s face several times while hurling anti-Asian statements at her, police said. He later casually walks away, the footage shows. The woman was hospitalized with serious injuries. According to video footage, a man inside a building lobby seemingly stopped what he’s doing to watch the assault and later two more men wearing blazers walked into the frame and one of them closed the door as the woman was on the ground. According to real estate website Street Easy , Brodsky Organization is the property developer and manager of the building...

Taken with Transportation Podcast: Connecting Community to Transit

Taken with Transportation Podcast: Connecting Community to Transit By The Bayview Community Shuttle is intended to help residents connect more easily with transit lines that serve Bayview-Hunters Point, such as the 54 Felton and T-Third. Accessing public transit can be more difficult for people in one particular San Francisco neighborhood than it is in other parts of the city. So we are designing a supplemental transportation program for this area, the Bayview Community Shuttle. You can learn more in the latest episode of the SFMTA podcast, Taken with Transportation . Host Melissa Culross talks with SFMTA Transportation Planner Christopher Kidd, San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton, Bayview-Hunters Point Community Advocates Environmental Justice Director Dalila Adofo, SFMTA Planning Director Maia Small and neighborhood residents about the shuttle, which is expected to begin running in Bayview-Hunters Point in 2024.  Christopher Kidd is the planner in charge of the shuttle p...

New top story from Time: Schools Across the U.S. Are Already Switching Back to Remote Learning Amid COVID-19 Surge

https://ift.tt/3B8bWpt (ATLANTA) — A few weeks into the new school year, growing numbers of U.S. districts have halted in-person learning or switched to hybrid models because of rapidly mounting coronavirus infections. More than 80 school districts or charter networks have closed or delayed in-person classes for at least one entire school in more than a dozen states. Others have sent home whole grade levels or asked half their students to stay home on hybrid schedules. The setbacks in mostly small, rural districts that were among the first to return dampen hopes for a sustained, widespread return to classrooms after two years of schooling disrupted by the pandemic. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] In Georgia, where in-person classes are on hold in more than 20 districts that started the school year without mask requirements, some superintendents say the virus appeared to be spreading in schools before they sent students home. “We just couldn’t manage it with that much sta...

New top story from Time: I Interviewed Hundreds of New Yorkers. Here’s What They Taught Me

https://ift.tt/3cgW6zl In 2014 I was given a unique assignment: move to New York and talk to people, hundreds of them, and then somehow create a book using their words to describe the experience of living in New York right now. I spoke to New Yorkers in all five boroughs, in coffee shops, in pizzerias, in elevator shafts, on job sites. At one point, when the book was nearly finished, I began to recognize a by-product of the interviewing process. Something happens when you ingest so many stories from so many New Yorkers. I learned a few things. I learned about express trains and egg creams, the route of the New York marathon and the strange naming protocols of the streets of Queens. I was taught how to steal a car in Manhattan, how to move properly on a sidewalk. Next came a list of specifics: best bagels, best pupusas, best baked clams (Donovan’s in Woodside). But I had no idea that speaking to New Yorkers would mean more important, subtle lessons would be shared from some of...

New top story from Time: U.S. Appeals Court Lets Texas Resume Ban on Most Abortions

https://ift.tt/30cFSna AUSTIN, Texas — A federal appeals court has allowed Texas to resume banning most abortions, just one day after clinics began racing to serve patients again for the first time since early September. A one-page order by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued late Friday reinstated the nation’s strictest abortion law, which bans abortions once cardiac activity is detected , usually around six weeks. It makes no exceptions in cases of rape or incest . “Patients are being thrown back into a state of chaos and fear,” said Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, which represents several Texas clinics that had briefly resumed normal abortion services. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] She called on the U.S. Supreme Court to “step in and stop this madness.” Clinics had braced for the New Orleans-based appeals court to act fast after U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman, an appointee of President Barack Obama, on Wednesday suspended...

New top story from Time: Arkansas Gov. Says He Won’t Support Donald Trump If He Runs in 2024

https://ift.tt/3smafQZ Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Sunday he will not back Donald Trump if the former president runs for the White House in 2024, saying “it’s time” to move on to different voices in the Republican Party. “No, I wouldn’t,” Hutchinson said when asked on CNN’s “State of the Union” whether he would ever support Trump again. “He’s going to have a voice, as former presidents do. But there’s many voices in the party.” Trump “should not define our future. We have got to define it for ourself,” the Republican governor added. Hutchinson had said after the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, which led to Trump’s impeachment by the House, that he wanted Trump’s administration to end . But Hutchinson did not join calls for Trump to resign and said impeachment wasn’t a practical option. The Senate acquitted Trump of inciting the attack. Hutchinson’s interview aired days after his nephew, Arkansas state Sen. Jim Hendren, announced that he’s leaving the GOP , citing...

New top story from Time: WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange Accused of Conspiring With LulzSec and Anonymous Hackers

https://ift.tt/3hZ0cN4 WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange conspired with hackers affiliated with the “Anonymous” and “LulzSec” groups, which have been linked to numerous cyber attacks around the world, according to new indictment by the U.S. Justice Department. Assange, who’s detained in the U.K. on a U.S. extradition request, gave the leader of LulzSec a list of targets to hack in 2012 and told this person that the most influential release of hacked materials would be from the Central Intelligence Agency, National Security Agency or the New York Times, according to a statement Wednesday from the Justice Department. The LulzSec leader was cooperating with the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the time, according to the statement. An Anonymous and LulzSec-affiliated hacker stole emails through a data breach of an American intelligence consulting company that were published in WikiLeaks, according to the statement. Assange indirectly asked that hacker to spam that company a...

New top story from Time: At least 15 People Are Dead and Hundreds Injured and Missing After a Fire at a Rohingya Refugee Camp

https://ift.tt/2NQfc5U COX’S BAZAR, Bangladesh — Searchers recovered at least 15 charred bodies after a devastating fire destroyed thousands of shelters at a Rohingya refugee camp in southern Bangladesh, officials said Tuesday. At least 400 people were still missing and around 560 were injured by the fire, according to Louise Donovan, a spokesperson for the United Nations’ refugee agency. The UNHCR said around 45,000 people were displaced by the fire, which broke out Monday afternoon and burned well into the night. In the aftermath, refugees picked through the burned debris looking for their belongings. Others wept. “Yesterday before the fire started, my kids went to study at the Islamic school. I did not see them after they came back. I found two of my older kids but I still can’t find my youngest son,” said Shappuni, a Rohingya refugee who uses only one name. At least three of the dead were children and the search for victims was still ongoing, said Nizam Uddin Ahmed,...