Skip to main content

New top story from Time: Caster Semenya Is Barred From Her Best Race. But She Won’t Give Up On Tokyo.

https://ift.tt/2R9s9c0

Caster Semenya’s fight continues. In February, the South African runner filed an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights, for the right to run in the Tokyo Olympics in her preferred event: the 800-m, a race in which Semenya is the two-time defending Olympic champ. In 2018 World Athletics, the global governing body for track and field, ruled that female athletes with differences of sex development, competing in races from 400 m to the mile, must reduce natural testosterone levels through medical intervention in order to run in those races. Semenya, who was born a woman and is legally recognized as a woman, has said that from around 2010 to 2015 she took birth control pills to lower her testosterone: she said she suffered from side effects like fevers and experience abdominal pain, among other symptoms. She has since refused to take any more medication to comply with the World Athletics rules.

Semenya took her case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which in 2019 upheld the World Athletics regulation: the Swiss supreme court, last year, dismissed her appeal. So Semenya is making one last push before the Olympics, to the European Court of Human Rights. Meanwhile, she is still trying to qualify for Tokyo, in the 5,000-m.

Semenya, who recently partnered with beauty brand Lux for a public campaign to overturn the ruling, joined TIME for a rare one-on-one interview from her home in Pretoria, South Africa to discuss her case, her legacy, and her plan for Tokyo. “I’m just going to say to my people,” Semenya tells TIME, “I’m back.”

What’s your level of hope that this new appeal, to the European Court of Human Rights, will work? I’m a believer. I do not doubt my instincts. This is all about going in there and showing these people that if you are a leader, you need to act in the best interest of the athletes. You must not go out there and try to discriminate or categorize people. At the end of the day, when we enter into an event, you say, I see a woman. You don’t say, I see a woman with high testosterone.

What do you see as the likelihood of a ruling before the Tokyo Olympics, which begin on July 23? I don’t really know. But what I know is that this is an urgent matter. I need to know where I stand. My title shot is very important to me. I have lost my title, and I’m not really happy about it.

Why is it so important to you? You could walk away having accomplished so much in your sport. Because I feel like I’ve been banned from my greatness. When you’re an athlete, you have a target. My target was maybe to win certain medals. And then someone decided to stop me because that person sees I’ll be the greatest. I feel like I’m not yet done. I still feel fresh. I still feel young. I cannot walk away if I feel like I can still do this thing.

While you await the legal verdict on your appeal to run the 800 m, you’ve decided to try to qualify for Tokyo in the 5,000 m. On April 15, you won the South African national championship in that race, but your time was more than 40 seconds slower than the minimum Olympic standard. Can you shave off 40 seconds in time for Tokyo? In distance, 40 seconds is nothing. For a particular day, you can produce a magical performance. In 12 laps, I can rectify mistakes in every race. It’s not really a big deal.

You originally were planning to run the 200 m. Why did you switch? You starting asking yourself if the 200 makes sense with the age, because remember now, I’m 30, and I’m thinking do I really have a future in sprints? It’s a big no. Because I don’t know when I’m going to tear my muscles.

About two years ago, you called out the lack of support you’ve received from female runners. As you’ve continued to fight, has that changed at all? A lot has changed, because people begin to see things in a different way. At first, you probably see me as your enemy. Then you tend to see people start reaching out. As women, we need to support each other, no matter what.

World Athletics has said the DSD regulations have “never been about one athlete,” but about preserving fairness for female competitors. What’s your response to that? That’s not fairness. That’s bullsh-t. What athlete in the world ran the 400 m to a mile and excelled in this era? And then you’re going to tell me you want to make it about fairness for everyone?

You’ve been under such intense scrutiny for over a decade. Does it get tiring? What’s it like in your shoes? It’s great to be me, man. I’m a happy soul. It’s good to be an activist. It’s good to fight for people. If you look into athletics, there are a lot of girls that are like me, facing the same problem. The goal is to make sure they don’t face what I faced.

What do you want your legacy to be? That’s a little bit confusing because I’m not yet about to stop [running]. I might transition into maybe politics. I always want to see change in my community. I want to be that person who is going to be out there for people and make sure that whatever I promise I deliver to my people.

When we spoke less than two years ago after a race at Stanford, you ruled out politics for your future. What changed? You grow. My issue is political. It’s about rights. It’s about helping people. I’m fighting for other young girls. Young girls from Asia, young girls from Africa, there are a lot of them with DSD. And they are being affected. Instead of supporting those girls and saying they are phenomenal like males, you’re going to say no, they are not human enough. What do you mean? I’m starting to be fascinated by politics because I’ve seen that it’s actually a political move. It’s far off of fairness in sports. Sports is never fair. If you look at basketball, if you look at swimming, then you come to me and you’re going to say, because I’m a different woman, I am not allowed? Bulls–t.

Would you run for president? I don’t want to be president. If I were to run for president, I’ll be that president that no one wants. Because I’ll stand for the truth.

Why is your case a human-rights case? I’m a woman; you’re telling me that I’m not a woman. You want to stop me from being me. You want to change me. It’s wrong. I was born the way I am. I cannot change. It just must get into their head that I’m never going to change for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New top story from Time: Schools Across the U.S. Are Already Switching Back to Remote Learning Amid COVID-19 Surge

https://ift.tt/3B8bWpt (ATLANTA) — A few weeks into the new school year, growing numbers of U.S. districts have halted in-person learning or switched to hybrid models because of rapidly mounting coronavirus infections. More than 80 school districts or charter networks have closed or delayed in-person classes for at least one entire school in more than a dozen states. Others have sent home whole grade levels or asked half their students to stay home on hybrid schedules. The setbacks in mostly small, rural districts that were among the first to return dampen hopes for a sustained, widespread return to classrooms after two years of schooling disrupted by the pandemic. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] In Georgia, where in-person classes are on hold in more than 20 districts that started the school year without mask requirements, some superintendents say the virus appeared to be spreading in schools before they sent students home. “We just couldn’t manage it with that much sta...

New top story from Time: Arkansas Gov. Says He Won’t Support Donald Trump If He Runs in 2024

https://ift.tt/3smafQZ Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Sunday he will not back Donald Trump if the former president runs for the White House in 2024, saying “it’s time” to move on to different voices in the Republican Party. “No, I wouldn’t,” Hutchinson said when asked on CNN’s “State of the Union” whether he would ever support Trump again. “He’s going to have a voice, as former presidents do. But there’s many voices in the party.” Trump “should not define our future. We have got to define it for ourself,” the Republican governor added. Hutchinson had said after the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, which led to Trump’s impeachment by the House, that he wanted Trump’s administration to end . But Hutchinson did not join calls for Trump to resign and said impeachment wasn’t a practical option. The Senate acquitted Trump of inciting the attack. Hutchinson’s interview aired days after his nephew, Arkansas state Sen. Jim Hendren, announced that he’s leaving the GOP , citing...

How to Pay for Parking at The City's New Multi-Space Paystations

How to Pay for Parking at The City's New Multi-Space Paystations By Pamela Johnson One of San Francisco's new paystations as the city moves away from its aging parking meters. How drivers pay for street parking in San Francisco continues to evolve. In March 2022, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) began the Citywide Parking Meter Replacement Project to replace San Francisco's aging 27,000 parking meters. Half of the parking meters will be replaced with new single-space meters and the other half with multi-space paystations that use a brand-new pay-by-license-plate system. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2024.  San Francisco uses paid parking to create curb availability in commercial districts and high-demand neighborhoods. When parking meters are in operation, drivers spend less time circling the block looking for a space. Less circling means less congestion and fewer greenhouse gas emissions.   To help drivers use the new m...

Fulton Street Sees Transit and Safety Improvements

Fulton Street Sees Transit and Safety Improvements By Shalon Rogers A temporary transit bulb was recently installed at 8th Avenue and Fulton, reducing travel time for the 5 Fulton and 5R Fulton Rapid and making boarding safer. For those who ride the 5 Fulton or 5R Fulton Rapid in the Richmond District, you may have recently noticed something new about the bus stops on Fulton Street at 6th and 8th avenues. And perhaps you noticed that your bus ride seemed to go slightly faster or with less disruption. Two new temporary transit bulbs installed at 6th Avenue eastbound and 8th Avenue westbound bring safety and transit benefits to Fulton Street in advance of the planned construction of permanent bulbs and are part of the Fulton Street Safety and Transit Project . Six permanent transit bulbs between Arguello and 10th Avenue are ultimately planned, which will save time and improve reliability for riders on the 5 Fulton and 5R Fulton Rapid by reducing the time it takes for buses to pull...

New top story from Time: What It’s Like to Accuse a #MeToo Hero of Abuse

https://ift.tt/3dIKTZj Tanya Selvaratnam hesitated before coming forward with allegations of abuse against former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman in a 2018 New Yorker story . Schneiderman had built his career, in part, by advocating for women . He was one of Harvey Weinstein’s fiercest opponents and sued Weinstein’s company to get restitution for survivors. And unlike many of the prominent men felled by the #MeToo movement in late 2017, Schneiderman’s abuse of Selvaratnam hadn’t taken place in a work context but rather while they were in a relationship. Selvaratnam did eventually tell Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer that Schneiderman hit her during sex without her permission and called her his “slave,” a sexual fantasy with disturbing racial overtones, and three other women accused him of sexual misconduct in the same article. (In a statement after the investigation was published , Schneiderman said, “In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-p...

Gene Henderson: Honoring Muni’s First Black Division Manager

Gene Henderson: Honoring Muni’s First Black Division Manager By Jeremy Menzies In recognition of Black History Month, we bring you the story of Gene Henderson, the first Black man to become the head of a Muni bus division, Muni’s Kirkland Division. Henderson’s Background Gene Henderson was born in Houston, Texas, in 1916. He married his wife Naomi in 1939 and then served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Following the war, Gene and his family moved to San Francisco where he began his career at the San Francisco Municipal Railway. Early Career On February 1, 1946, Henderson was hired as a streetcar motorman out of Sutro Division, which was located on the corner of 32nd Ave. and Clement St. He was hired just five years after Muni’s first Black transit operator, Audley Cole, had successfully fought to integrate the carmen’s union in 1941. In his early days at Muni, Gene worked one of the three lines running out of Sutro Division from the Ferry Building to the Richmond District o...

New top story from Time: Reluctant Towns, Cities and States Are Being Dragged Into Court to Fix Sidewalks for People With Disabilities

https://ift.tt/3FFXXtZ From her Baltimore dining room, Susan Goodlaxson can see her neighbor gardening across the street. But while other neighbors stop to chat, Goodlaxson just watches from the window. She uses a wheelchair, and there isn’t a single curb ramp on her block. If the 66-year-old wanted to join, she’d have to jump her wheelchair down the 7.5-inch curb and risk a fall. Ditto if she wanted to wheel over to the library, a trip that would require riding in the street to avoid rampless curbs and broken sidewalks. “I don’t feel like it’s asking too much to be able to move your wheelchair around the city,” Goodlaxson says. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] Federal law backs her up. Since 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) has required government entities to provide people with disabilities access to programs and services enjoyed by their nondisabled peers. That includes sidewalks and curb ramps that make it possible to safely cross the street. In Baltimo...

San Francisco To Extend Parking Meter Hours Citywide

San Francisco To Extend Parking Meter Hours Citywide By Pamela Johnson Much like real estate, parking is at a premium in San Francisco. For decades, most parking meters in the city have operated from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. While drivers generally love free parking, they may not realize that it’s hard to find a space in the evenings and on Sundays in many neighborhoods because the meters are not running.  Beginning in July 2023 and continuing in phases through December 2024, the SFMTA will extend parking meter hours until 10:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and add Sunday meter hours from 12:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. Parking meters already operate in the evenings or on Sundays in some areas, including Mission Bay, South Beach, the 18th Street business district in Potrero Hill and along the Embarcadero. This extension will make meter hours more consistent citywide, create more parking availability and generate revenue to help the agency sustain vital Muni...

New top story from Time: The Best Movies of 2021 So Far

https://ift.tt/2Ti8msf Time flies when you’re stuck inside. Though 2021 began in a haze of uncertainty , we’re now some five months in, and for many of us—finally—things are looking brighter . Movies helped : So far, the riches of this year include a new short (but astonishing) film from Spanish maestro Pedro Almodóvar, a gorgeous black-and-white documentary featuring a mother pig and her squeaking, scrambling family, and a stunning film from India that, come December, will certainly end up being among the best of the year . We’re off to a good start—and it’s never too early to start feeling grateful . Here are the best movies of 2021 so far. The Disciple In this gorgeous, quietly affecting film from Chaitanya Tamhane (director of 2014’s Court ), a singer with perhaps less-than-stellar gifts (played, superbly, by Aditya Modak), strives to make a life for himself in the rarefied and decidedly un-lucrative world of Indian classical music. The Disciple slipped quietly on...

New top story from Time: North Korea Confirms Missile Tests as Biden Warns of a Response

https://ift.tt/2PyExBB SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea on Friday confirmed it had tested a new guided missile, as President Joe Biden warned of consequences if Pyongyang escalates tensions amid stalled nuclear negotiations. The North’s official Korean Central News Agency said the two “new-type tactical guided projectiles” accurately hit the target off the eastern coast on Thursday. Photos on the website of the North’s main Rodong Sinmun newspaper showed a missile lifting off from a transport erector launcher amid bright flames. KCNA quoted top official Ri Pyong Chol, who supervised the test, as saying that the new weapon’s development “is of great significance in bolstering up the military power of the country and deterring all sorts of military threats existing on the Korean Peninsula.” Japanese officials said both weapons tested Thursday were ballistic missiles, which are prohibited by U.N. Security Council resolutions. According to South Korean officials, North Kore...