Skip to main content

New top story from Time: Chris Paul on the Legacy of the NBA Strike, 1 Year Later

https://ift.tt/3jiooN4

Even before Aug. 26, 2020—the date, one year ago today, on which the sports world shut down in protest of violence against unarmed Black people—NBA players were having difficulty processing the shooting of Jacob Blake. The video of police in Kenosha, Wis. shooting and wounding Blake emerged during the NBA’s 2020 postseason while players were isolated at Walt Disney World in a COVID-19 “bubble.” The surreal August playoffs were taking place after the season had shut down in March because of the pandemic.

“It was weighing heavy on a lot of guys,” says Chris Paul, who was the president of the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) for eight years before he stepped aside this summer. Paul told TIME in an interview this week that when George Floyd was murdered on May 25, 2020, he was home and could explain to his children Chris II and Camryn, then 11 and 8, what was unfolding on television. “Whereas when this situation happened, with Jacob Blake, we were all in the bubble,” says the Phoenix Suns point guard. “We didn’t get the chance to be with our families, to talk to them or to hug them, that physical aspect.”
[time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”]

So he knew players were hurting. In fact, the night before the Aug. 26 protest, Paul says he and NBPA first vice president Andre Iguodala met with players from the Boston Celtics and Toronto Raptors who were thinking about sitting out the opening game of their second-round series. Still Paul—who was playing for the Oklahoma City Thunder at the time—was stunned when he learned about the Milwaukee Bucks’ strike. He was riding on the team bus en route to his game against the Houston Rockets when teammate Shai Gilgeous-Alexander turned around and told him the news.

Milwaukee players, whose home arena sits some 30 miles north of Kenosha, refused to take the court for their game against the Orlando Magic. Within ten seconds, Paul remembers, his phone starting ringing off the hook.

READ MORE: Why Jacob Blake’s Shooting Sparked an Unprecedented Sports Boycott

When Paul was elected union president in 2013, he never could have pictured anything like this: Players cooped up in a “bubble” due to a deadly pandemic, fighting for a championship in late August because the season had been delayed, contemplating walking away from the playoffs to make a statement about social injustice. But here was Paul, getting off that bus with conflicting thoughts crisscrossing his mind.

As Oklahoma City’s veteran leader, he knew he had to keep his team focused on the immediate task at hand: a key playoff game against a Western Conference rival. At the same time, he wondered whether that game was worth playing at all.

“Man, it was a lot,” says Paul. “It was a lot.”

Ultimately, he relied on the skills he has honed on the court: don’t panic, assess the situation and start calling some shots. He sought out Russell Westbrook, his Houston opponent that night, to hash out whether the Thunder and Rockets should play after Milwaukee’s walkout. The pair got on the phone with LeBron James and Damian Lillard, whose Los Angeles Lakers and Portland Trail Blazers were scheduled to face off in the third playoff game that evening. “We came to the conclusion that no, we don’t need to play,” says Paul.

What now?

Thunder Rockets Basketball
Kim Klement–Pool/APA general view inside The Field House before Game 5 of an NBA basketball first-round playoff series, between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Houston Rockets, Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020, in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. NBA players made their strongest statement yet against racial injustice Wednesday when the Milwaukee Bucks didn’t take the floor for their playoff game against the Orlando Magic.

So all three NBA playoff games were off. A cascade effect soon followed. The WNBA cancelled three games; three MLB games and five MLS games were also scrapped. Later that evening, Naomi Osaka announced she would not take the court for her match the next day.

But after the player strikes, the immediate question for Paul and other NBA players was: What’s next? “My first instinct was, get everybody in a room,” he says. “When we decided to go down and play in the bubble, we talked about how this will be one of the first times ever in history where we’re all in the same location. So maybe we can have some conversations and talk about things we want to see.”

The players, however, couldn’t communicate as easily due different schedules for each team and COVID-19 restrictions. They were still relying on Zoom. “As soon as [the strike] happened, I saw this was an opportunity,” says Paul. “The hell with everything else else going on. Let’s all get in a room.”

A players meeting was set in a hotel ballroom for 8 p.m. Then Paul’s anxiety began to rise. “Now you have to coordinate everything,” Paul says. Suddenly, this star point guard’s most important call of the evening wasn’t in the final seconds of a playoff game. No, it was a phone call to a league employee—to make sure the ballroom has enough chairs.

Should coaches be able to attend? Paul heard arguments on both sides, but agreed with Iguodala that they could offer valuable input. Good call; at the meeting then-Los Angeles Clippers assistant coach Armond Hill challenged players to register to vote. They heeded his words; more than 95% of NBA players wound up registering for the 2020 election, compared to just 22% who voted in 2016, according to the NBA union.

Paul also heard that the refs wanted to be there. “Not to take anything away from the referees, but being in this league long enough, I wanted the players to be as comfortable as possible speaking and talking,” Paul says. “And you get too many people in a room, guys might not do that.”

So no refs, though a group of game officials did stop by the ballroom later in the night to express their support for the players.

Before the meeting, Paul also spoke to Blake’s father. Jacob Blake Sr. Blake Sr. told Paul that he knew Paul’s grandfather from Winston-Salem, N.C.; both men lived there. Paul’s grandfather was murdered in the city in 2002. “It just gave me goosebumps,” says Paul. “I let him know the players are praying for him and his family and we support them.” Paul said he wanted Blake Sr. to address the players at the start of the meeting, but a technical glitch got in the way.

A healthy break

The meeting was tense, as players debated whether or not to continue the NBA post-season. It ended without reaching an official consensus: players from the Lakers and Clippers left early. James, in particular, felt frustrated. In an interview with TIME late last year, he said he was “very close” to leaving the bubble, and told his wife and family he might be coming home. “We were still with our brothers in solidarity, meaning the Milwaukee Bucks,” James told TIME in the interview. “But if we’re going to move forward, what is our plan? At that very moment, I didn’t believe that we, as a collective group of players, had a plan at all. We had taken the stand to sit out. But how are we going to make a difference going forward?”

Later that night, James and Paul got on the phone with former president Barack Obama, who encouraged the players to use their leverage. He felt they would have a stronger and more visible platform to fight for change if they continued playing.

READ MORE: Athlete of the Year—LeBron James

Paul didn’t get much sleep. Still, the next day brought clarity. The players would stay in the bubble and keep playing. In a Zoom meeting that afternoon between players and owners, the owners pledged to work with local election officials to convert arenas into polling places, establish a social-justice coalition with players and coaches, and provide some playoff advertising space to promote civic engagement.

“The players as a whole realize how much power and influence that we have,” says Paul. “I knew it, but when all of that happened, I got calls from Major League Baseball players, soccer players, our sisters in the WNBA. Every league, every organization was calling, trying to figure out what our plan was.”

A year later, Paul now believes the NBA work stoppage also played a role in pushing forward the mental health movement in sports. Players in the NBA, and across sports, were already working in stressful conditions during the pandemic; incidents like the Blake shooting added to their anxiety. If nothing else, they needed a moment. “A lot of people were saying, ‘Oh, they stopped playing, so they didn’t do anything,'” says Paul. “Listen, I think everybody realizes how important mental health is now. And if that pause gave everyone a chance to collect their thoughts and understand what decisions were being made, I’m grateful for it.”

Next up

2021 NBA Finals - Game Four
Stacy Revere–Getty ImagesChris Paul of the Phoenix Suns warms up before Game Four of the NBA Finals against the Milwaukee Bucks at Fiserv Forum on July 14, 2021 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Paul’s Thunder wound up losing to Houston in seven games. Phoenix acquired Paul in a trade that off-season, and this year he led the Suns to their first playoff appearance in 11 seasons—and first NBA Finals appearance since 1993. In his first NBA Finals appearance of his 16-year career, Paul’s Suns lost to the Milwaukee Bucks in six games. Paul was bothered by a wrist injury during the playoffs. He recently had wrist surgery, and says he’s now rehabbing every morning starting at 6 a.m.

“It’s my fourth hand surgery,” says Paul. “So one thing I know about is the mental aspect of rehab. I’m getting there.”

Right after the finals, Paul says that coming so close to that elusive first title, but narrowly missing it, would hurt for awhile. “It’s never going to feel good,” he says. Though he’s 36, Paul—who signed a four-year, $120 million contract earlier this month—won’t be walking away from basketball anytime soon. “Now that I’ve got a taste of what that experience is like,” Paul says of playing in the NBA Finals, “I’m sort of addicted.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Residents Overwhelmingly Support Slow Streets

Residents Overwhelmingly Support Slow Streets By Eillie Anzilotti After over a year of Slow Streets providing safe, low-volume corridors for people to walk, bike, play and travel during the pandemic, we’re excited to share our first comprehensive evaluation of the program . The key takeaway? San Franciscans are overwhelmingly in support of Slow Streets. Slow Streets are designed to limit through traffic on certain residential streets and allow them to be used as a shared roadway for people traveling by foot and by bicycle. Since introducing Slow Streets in April 2020 in response to the Mayor’s Emergency Health Order, SFMTA has designated around 30 corridors covering 47 miles of roadway as Slow Streets. The program has evolved from a critical component of San Francisco’s pandemic response and recovery to a potential new avenue to further the city and SFMTA’s goals around climate action and sustainable transportation. As the Slow Streets program has grown, we wanted to make sure we...

Transit Lanes Keep Muni Moving on Mission Street in SoMa

Transit Lanes Keep Muni Moving on Mission Street in SoMa By Erin McMillan The full-time transit lanes on Mission Street downtown installed as a temporary emergency measure during the pandemic will be made permanent. The first of the city’s Temporary Emergency Transit Lanes to get permanent authorization, they were unanimously approved by the SFMTA Board of Directors at their June 15, 2021 meeting. This shows how a quick-build project can be installed, evaluated, and refined in a relatively short amount of time.   Thousands of daily riders have already felt the impact of the full-time transit lanes since they were first temporarily installed last summer. Now, riders of the 14 Mission, 14R Mission Rapid, and many SamTrans and Golden Gate Transit customers will continue to benefit from the transit time savings we have seen with the implementation of these lanes. Mission Street in SoMa has been a major transit corridor for years, serving regional commuter...

FOX NEWS: What is TikTok's 'Check Your Privilege' challenge?

What is TikTok's 'Check Your Privilege' challenge? Activists are calling for awareness and change following the death of George Floyd. via FOX NEWS https://ift.tt/3crYd00

New Sculptures Light up Van Ness Avenue

New Sculptures Light up Van Ness Avenue By Luis “Loui” Apolonio Light sculpture at Van Ness Avenue and O'Farrell Street Spectators gathered both online and in person to watch new lighting sculptures on Van Ness turned on for the first time on March 31, 2022. The whimsical and brightly colored sculptures located on the new Van Ness BRT boarding platform between Geary and O’Farrell are made of steel with LED lights inside on a timer set to illuminate at night.  The lighting event was kicked off with SFMTA Director Jeff Tumlin and MTAB Chair Gwyneth Borden serving as emcees. Mary Chou, Director of Public Arts and Collections at the San Francisco Arts Commission, spoke about the art installation itself, as well as the process for selecting the artist who would be awarded the project. In addition, Maddy Ruvolo, a member of the SFMTA’s Accessible Services team and a recently appointed member of President Biden’s U.S. Access Board, shared the importance of having accessibility as a ...

New top story from Time: TWICE Delivers Uplifting Performance of ‘DEPEND ON YOU’ at TIME100 Talks

https://ift.tt/3a8KgF0 TWICE delivered a special performance at the TIME100 Talks Friday. For the first time, the South Korean group performed the track “DEPEND ON YOU” from its latest album, Eyes Wide Open . As the coronavirus pandemic continues, members Jihyo, Nayeon, Momo, Sana, Mina, Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu offered fans a message of solidarity and gratitude (vocalist Jeongyeon is on hiatus due to health reasons). “ Currently, we are sad to say that we are also aware that all of us are suffering in this situation,” Sana said. “We appreciate all people who are doing their best to return us to our normal lives and to bring back brighter days,” Nayeon continued. “TWICE will diligently keep on carrying out our duty to bring positive energy into the world,” Mina said. In line with these words, the group sang “DEPEND ON YOU”—a breezy, mellow track about steady hands that offer strength and support in the midst of darkness. “DEPEND ON YOU” first appeared on Eyes ...

New Muni Service Changes Start Saturday, August 19

New Muni Service Changes Start Saturday, August 19 By Clive Tsuma 28R 19th Avenue will run on weekdays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. starting Monday, August 21.  Back to School  With SFUSD students returning to school August 16, many families who rely on Muni to get to school will see service increase after school as part of the new schedule. Because Muni vehicles often become crowded during morning peak hours and sometimes pass up stops when there is not enough room for more riders, families are encouraged to plan their trips ahead of time and hop on Muni early to make sure students get to school on time.  With every public school in the San Francisco Unified School District being served by at least one Muni route , students can expect extra Muni service on the first day of the school this fall and continue providing service throughout the school year. While the Muni service changes won’t be implemented until August 19, school tripper service will be offered starting Au...

New T Third Connecting Chinatown to Sunnydale Starts Saturday

New T Third Connecting Chinatown to Sunnydale Starts Saturday By Christopher Ward New Muni Metro map. This Saturday the T Third starts its long-awaited new route connecting Chinatown-Rose Pak Station from 4th & King in Central Subway, Mondays through Fridays, 6 a.m. to midnight every 10 minutes and Saturdays and Sundays, 8 a.m. to midnight every 12 minutes.   The K Ingleside will now travel between Balboa Park and Embarcadero Station. Customers using Embarcadero & Folsom, Embarcadero & Brannan and 2nd and King platforms should transfer to the N Judah at Powell Station or 4th & King. Watch the new Muni Metro service  map animations . The following bus service changes also start this Saturday: The T Third Bus will now run along 3rd and 4th Streets in SoMa and on Stockton Street north of Market Street to align with the new T Third rail line and will no longer travel on the Embarcadero and Market Street.   The 6 Haight/Parnassus  will now...

New top story from Time: A Photographer’s Journey Through the Dangerous New Age of Conspiracies in America

https://ift.tt/354JVAF In November 2017, the House Intelligence Committee released fake advertisements found on Facebook in the walk up to the 2016 election. As politicians on each side argued over whether the ads changed the election results, the heart of the revelation was way more disturbing. The Russian ads targeted the American public to deepen wounds on divisive issues and spread false information. Facebook said the posts were “ what we saw from these actors was an insidious attempt to drive people apart ,” according to Colin Stretch, the general counsel for the company. In 2020, less than one month before the election, America seems even more divided and deeply fractured after a turbulent year with a deadly pandemic, economic pain, and a chaotic presidency. With many Americans on lockdown, social media has been a vital form of communication — but one that is also driving dangerous conspiracies. From the false QAnon conspiracy, which promotes Trump as the final de...

Swami Ramdev LIVE: Yoga asanas to treat cough, cold, other ENT-related issues https://ift.tt/2Flexoe

The total number of global coronavirus cases has surpassed 22 million, including more than 777,000 fatalities. More than 14,783,000 patients are reported to have recovered. Follow this breaking news blog for live updates on coronavirus pandemic as it continues to pose a challenge for health workers and scientists who are in a race against time to produce a vaccine/medicine. 

New top story from Time: New York Prosecutor Convenes Grand Jury in Criminal Investigation of Donald Trump

https://ift.tt/3wuXF3R (NEW YORK) — New York prosecutors have convened a special grand jury to consider evidence in a criminal investigation into former President Donald Trump’s business dealings, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press on Tuesday. The development signals that the Manhattan district attorney’s office was moving toward seeking charges as a result of its two-year investigation, which included a lengthy legal battle to obtain Trump’s tax records. The person familiar with the matter was not authorized to speak publicly and did so on condition of anonymity. The news was first reported by The Washington Post . Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is conducting a wide-ranging investigation into a variety of matters such as hush-money payments paid to women on Trump’s behalf, property valuations and employee compensation. The Democratic prosecutor has been using an investigative grand jury through the course of his probe to issue sub...