Skip to main content

New top story from Time: What It’s Like to Accuse a #MeToo Hero of Abuse

https://ift.tt/3dIKTZj

Tanya Selvaratnam hesitated before coming forward with allegations of abuse against former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman in a 2018 New Yorker story. Schneiderman had built his career, in part, by advocating for women. He was one of Harvey Weinstein’s fiercest opponents and sued Weinstein’s company to get restitution for survivors. And unlike many of the prominent men felled by the #MeToo movement in late 2017, Schneiderman’s abuse of Selvaratnam hadn’t taken place in a work context but rather while they were in a relationship.

Selvaratnam did eventually tell Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer that Schneiderman hit her during sex without her permission and called her his “slave,” a sexual fantasy with disturbing racial overtones, and three other women accused him of sexual misconduct in the same article. (In a statement after the investigation was published, Schneiderman said, “In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-playing and other consensual sexual activity. I have not assaulted anyone. I have never engaged in nonconsensual sex, which is a line I would not cross.”)

Now Selvarantham is expanding on her experiences in a book in the hope that others will be able to recognize the signs of grooming and abuse in intimate partnerships. She spoke to TIME about why it’s so hard to expose domestic violence, the psychology of the people who enable abusers and why we’re beginning to see another wave of #MeToo.

You write about having this impulse to understand and even sympathize with an abuser. Where do we draw that line between empathy and punishment?

On a personal level, when I talk about the empathy that I felt for Eric Schneiderman, abusers are very good at making you feel sorry for them, making you feel like they need you. It’s part of their manipulation, and you are made to feel like you are harming them if you leave them.

I feel that we have to chip away at conditioning from the time that we are born to normalize violence. I’ve been very grateful for FKA Twigs and Evan Rachel Wood speaking out, especially recently. They were in a different stage of life than I was. I am embarrassed that I was a fully grown, independent woman when it happened to me I wasn’t prepared for when my path intersected with an abuser. And my hope is that the book helps prepare others for when that might happen to them.

In the cases of Evan Rachel Wood and FKA Twigs, the men they accused of abuse—Marilyn Manson and Shia LaBeouf—had both demonstrated volatile and misogynist behavior before. In your case, Eric Schneiderman was an avowed feminist. You wrote, “His advocacy was a form of atonement but also deflection.” Do you think we, the public, react differently to when someone who has demonstrated violent behavior before is exposed versus someone who supports women in public but abuses them in private?

The common thread between these abusers is the cult of personality that forms around powerful people, around rich people, and how those cults of personality are damaging society. I wasn’t prepared for the grooming, gaslighting, and manipulation that I experienced at the hands of Eric Schneiderman, and part of what drew me to him was that he was a champion of women. He was worshiped as a progressive advocate, and also he was a meditator. I thought, “How amazing. A politician who also meditates.” And he surrounded himself with spiritual teachers who provided a shield for him. What my experience highlights is that perpetrators are of all stripes. They can be liberal, progressive heroes; they can be misogynist rock stars.

I was thinking a lot about the film Promising Young Woman when I was reading your book. I don’t know if you’ve seen it?

I’m hesitating to see it, because I know it will make me upset.

The reason I bring it up is because the movie makes a point, which I think every woman already knows, that the guys who pretend to be nice guys, feminists, nerdy guys, harmless guys, but are predators are in some ways even scarier than the outward-facing jerks.

What was overwhelming for me in fall of 2017, when the #MeToo movement took off, was that my story was unfolding in real time as I was watching these perpetrators being outed. And the fact that my abuser was the top law enforcement officer in New York State, and that he was an ally of the #MeToo movement made the cognitive dissonance even more disturbing. One of the scariest aspects was coming forward against a hero of the #MeToo movement.

[Because there were] supposed feminists that didn’t want their friends who they knew were abusers to be outed. It’s loyalty over conscience. The phenomenon is very clear: their power is entwined with the abuser’s power. There were many women who tried to discourage me from coming forward, and there were many women who tried to discredit the New Yorker story, and also me, personally, behind the scenes, when I did come forward. I know their names. I will not say them publicly, because I don’t want them coming after me.

So many of the men who have been accused of workplace harassment and assault, like Weinstein, hired prominent feminist lawyers.

Well, in the case of Shia LaBeouf both and Marilyn Manson, they had female enablers all around them. And I feel like we are on the cusp of another wave of MeToo, and this next wave will allow us to do a deeper dive into the abuse that happens in committed relationships. Because when I came forward, part of what made the situation different was that I was in a committed relationship with Eric Schneiderman. To have FKA Twigs and Evan Rachel come forward, and films like Promising Young Woman come out, I do feel like—I think it’s a necessary next wave, but I feel like this is the year.

When I talk about how there’s a civil war between feminists and patriarchs, and those on the side of the feminists are not only women, and those on the side of patriarchs are not only men, we all need to fight for a world that’s safer for women and men, and that make victims feel more supported to share their stories.

Do you think abusers are capable of reform? Are they capable of learning empathy?

Well, I believe in a combination of criminal justice and restorative justice. And restorative justice is crucial to chipping away at patriarchal violence. I do believe that abusers are capable of learning, but they have to put in the work. And I think requiring perpetrators to go through a restorative justice process and to go through an un-brainwashing that has resulted in them being abusive people is very important

I believe that perpetrators need to do two things; they need to acknowledge the harm that they have inflicted, and they need to experience repercussions. But in most cases, neither happens. It is quite remarkable that Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein went to jail. But that was after how many dozens of women had been harmed by them? And I think of my own situation, how many more might there have been if I hadn’t come forward?

You wrote about how you submitted yourself to journalistic investigation with the New Yorker story but didn’t feel you could trust the police process because your abuser was the attorney general. Since, we’ve had another national reckoning with trust in the police, and many women, particularly women of color, don’t feel they can trust that process.

We’ve seen how hard it is for the public and the media to elevate stories of Black and brown victims. When we say, “Believe women,” we need to say, “Believe Black women. Believe brown women.”

And this also reminds me of the racism in my situation because I was the only dark-skinned woman in my story; the other ones were white. And Eric Schneiderman customized his abuse with each victim, and I go into that in some of the book. He said he wanted me to get plastic surgery for the scars on my torso from cancer surgery and get a boob job. But he also referred to me as a slave, and that he was my master. It’s incredibly embarrassing for me to talk about it right now, because I feel so far away from that. But the fact that he pretended to be not only an ally of women, but also an ally of immigrants and marginalized communities, while treating his intimate partner like that—talk about cognitive dissonance.

You write that sharing your abuse with your mother was difficult because your father physically abused your mother. She was clearly triggered by your story, and at times she asked you not to share it publicly. That strained your relationship. How is your relationship with your mother now?

When I was a child, witnessing my mother experience horrific domestic violence, I wondered why she didn’t leave. And I stood up to my father — I stood in between them so he wouldn’t hit her; I called the divorce lawyer. But then as an adult when I experienced it myself, it gave me a window into what she went through and an understanding of the trauma that must have set in on a cellular level for her.

I also felt disheartened that she didn’t have a support network that I did after I experienced abuse. She stayed with my father for decades and she did not have people supporting her getting out of the relationship, whereas with the few friends that I opened up to about my situation, for the most part told me immediately to get out and get help. And I did get help.

But there’s the quote that A.M. Homes gave for the book: “Even those who outwardly seem so strong have ancient fractures points of entry, where we are susceptible to the debilitating darkness of others.” The fractures of my father fractured me, and it took my experiencing abuse to understand my mother. I hope that the book helps others have difficult conversations with their parents about abuse.

You write that writing the book took you to a dark place. Are you in a more optimistic place now?

I’m excited for our first Black Indian Vice-President in Kamala Harris. And she’s Tamil, like me, which is very exciting. This is a total digression, but it is actually all related. It’s going to take a lot to unravel the abusive dictators around the world. They won’t cede power. I didn’t watch the impeachment hearings because I knew what the outcome would be. And we saw that the majority of Republican senators voted for white supremacy and violent patriarchy. And it’s not that they don’t have a conscience; it’s that they have a selective conscience.

And that’s related to my book, how people have selective conscience when the abuser is one of their own, because for the abuser that they know to be outed means that they have to cede some of their own power, too. And that’s going to take a long time to unravel and unpack that. There’s a massive un-brainwashing that needs to happen.

An unexpected outcome was that New York State got its first female and Black attorney general in Letitia James. Many of the #MeToo stories, where they involve people in the echelons of power, it resulted in those abusers being dethroned. And then those that are dethroned get replaced by people who are not abusive, and in many situations, by women.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As the city gradually reopens, mechanical street sweeping enforcement is set to resume

As the city gradually reopens, mechanical street sweeping enforcement is set to resume By Mayor London N. Breed and the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) today announced that the City will resume enforcement for parking violations related to street sweeping beginning on Monday, June 15. Mayor Breed had announced on March 17 that SFMTA would not ticket for street sweeping following the Stay Home Order for COVID-19 in order to allow people to stay home without worrying about receiving a parking ticket. While the City had still encouraged people to move their vehicles if they could, street sweeping crews from San Francisco Public Works continue to see a large number of vehicles failing to do so, as many as 18,000 per day. Resuming enforcement for mechanical street sweeping is necessary to ensure that streets remain clean as the City begins to allow more businesses and activities to resume. “At the beginning of the Stay Home Order we wanted to ensure that people wh...

Enhancing Safety on Franklin Street

Enhancing Safety on Franklin Street By Mark Dreger We're excited to share an update on the Franklin Street Quick-Build Project, an effort to enhance traffic safety on Franklin Street between Broadway and Lombard Streets. This roadway stretch was the site of 38 collisions between 2017 and 2021, including the tragic loss of a Sherman Elementary School paraeducator in November 2021. Our data-driven approach focuses on several key safety improvements, and we are ready to share the evaluation results and the next steps to bring further safety changes to Franklin Street.  The project includes the implementation of a suite of safety measures focused on the intersections where neighborhood stakeholders expressed most concerns during the outreach process.  Painted safety zones (PSZs) have been installed to increase pedestrian visibility at crosswalks by keeping the corners of intersections clear. Slow-turn wedges have been added to encourage drivers to turn at safer speeds...

New top story from Time: The Fight for a $15 Minimum Wage Is Our Selma 

https://ift.tt/37oF2Ez After the public lynching of George Floyd last summer, his cry of “I can’t breathe” galvanized a movement for Black lives that won majority support among Americans . Floyd wasn’t the only one gasping for breath. While Americans watched a police officer choke the life out of Floyd, we also witnessed Black Americans contracting a deadly respiratory disease at three times the rate of our white neighbors , according to an August report from the National Urban League. The growing public consensus that we as a nation must address systemic racism has led to serious soul-searching in families, churches, universities, corporations and political life. But just as the Selma campaign became a symbol during the civil rights movement of the need for legislation to expand voting rights, the $15 an hour minimum wage proposal in Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan represents the possibility that our government can take decisive action to make racial justice real tod...

Gene Henderson: Honoring Muni’s First Black Division Manager

Gene Henderson: Honoring Muni’s First Black Division Manager By Jeremy Menzies In recognition of Black History Month, we bring you the story of Gene Henderson, the first Black man to become the head of a Muni bus division, Muni’s Kirkland Division. Henderson’s Background Gene Henderson was born in Houston, Texas, in 1916. He married his wife Naomi in 1939 and then served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Following the war, Gene and his family moved to San Francisco where he began his career at the San Francisco Municipal Railway. Early Career On February 1, 1946, Henderson was hired as a streetcar motorman out of Sutro Division, which was located on the corner of 32nd Ave. and Clement St. He was hired just five years after Muni’s first Black transit operator, Audley Cole, had successfully fought to integrate the carmen’s union in 1941. In his early days at Muni, Gene worked one of the three lines running out of Sutro Division from the Ferry Building to the Richmond District o...

New top story from Time: Who’s Ariarne Titmus? The Australian Swimmer’s Rivalry With Katie Ledecky Has Captivated Olympics Fans

https://ift.tt/3fdGe1v Before this week, many people knew Katie Ledecky as one of the most dominant names in swimming for the last decade. So they might have been surprised by the success of Australia’s 20-year-old Ariarne Titmus during the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, who has now bested Ledecky twice to snatch gold medals. In Tokyo, Titmus’ rivalry with Ledecky has been one of the most captivating parts of the Tokyo swimming program. The rivalry between the two star swimmers dates back to the 2019 world championship, when Titmus became the first woman to beat Ledecky at the international level. They’ll have one more chance to race in Tokyo, this time in the 800-m freestyle on July 31. She isn’t the favorite this time, however. Ledecky is undefeated in the 800 m, holding the fastest 24 times in the event’s history as well as the world and Olympic records, which she set during her winning race at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics . [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] Titmus, who gre...

FOX NEWS: Olympic gymnasts sound off on the evolving leotard: 'Power and prestige goes with those leos' The world may have grown accustomed to seeing Olympic gymnasts wearing leotards as they compete for the highest honor in the sport, but these garments haven’t always been the first pick for women.

Olympic gymnasts sound off on the evolving leotard: 'Power and prestige goes with those leos' The world may have grown accustomed to seeing Olympic gymnasts wearing leotards as they compete for the highest honor in the sport, but these garments haven’t always been the first pick for women. via FOX NEWS https://ift.tt/3BQEKE3

New top story from Time: Watch TIME’s Exclusive Footage of NASA’s Most Powerful Rocket Ever Under Construction

https://ift.tt/3xqnVOf Rockets are built slowly—slowly and exceedingly carefully—which is in keeping with giant machines on which humans stake their lives and nations stake their prestige. In NASA’s cavernous Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Canaveral, America’s next great moon rocket—the Space Launch System (SLS)—is being constructed with all that in mind. It is here too that TIME set up half a dozen cameras over the course of two months, capturing 3 million images for a time-lapse video that makes it possible to compress those months of work into just a few kinetic minutes. Under the eyes of the cameras, the rocket’s twin solid-fuel boosters came together—each of them 177 feet tall, weighing 1.6 million pounds and generating 3.6 million pounds (1.6 million kg) of thrust. Twenty-five percent taller than the solid boosters on the space shuttle, the twin engines are made of five separate segments, compared to the shuttle’s four. When they are completed, they will be attached ...

New top story from Time: This Is Who Will Replace Simone Biles in the Olympic Gymnastics All-Around Final

https://ift.tt/3zENvyY When Simone Biles withdrew from the gymnastics team event at the Tokyo Summer Olympic Games on July 27, her teammates and coaches scrambled to fill in for her on the spot, since Biles made the sudden decision after the competition had started. Sunisa Lee and Jordan Chiles stepped in and both pulled off impressive routines with little notice — and no warm up time — to help the US women earn silver . Biles announced a day later that she is also withdrawing from the all-around event, the marquee competition for women’s gymnastics. Biles is the reigning Olympic all-around champion, but won’t be defending her title after admitting to struggling mentally with the pressures of competing in Tokyo. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] Who will replace her? It’s not just a matter of swapping in a teammate. Biles was the top qualifier, and only the gymnasts with the top 24 scores from the qualifying round are eligible for the all-around. In addition, in order to g...

New top story from Time: Militarized Feds Will Stay in Portland Until Attacks on the Federal Courthouse End, U.S. Attorney Says

https://ift.tt/305Lo8I (PORTLAND, Ore.) — U.S. militarized officers will remain in Portland until attacks on a federal courthouse cease, a top official said Monday after another night of violence. And more officers may soon be on the way. “It is not a solution to tell federal officers to leave when there continues to be attacks on federal property and personnel,” U.S. Attorney Billy Williams said. ”We are not leaving the building unprotected to be destroyed by people intent on doing so.” Local and state officials said the federal officers are unwelcome. Meanwhile, the mayors of Portland and five other major U.S. cities appealed Monday to Congress to make it illegal for the federal government to deploy militarized agents to cities that don’t want them. “This administration’s egregious use of federal force on cities over the objections of local authorities should never happen,” the mayors of Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Kansas City, Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Washington ...

New top story from Time: Baseball Stadiums, Theme Parks, Cathedrals: See the World’s Makeshift COVID-19 Vaccination Hubs

https://ift.tt/3kbrfqb Earlier in the COVID-19 pandemic, as arriving patients quickly overwhelmed hospitals from China to Italy to New York, officials converted all manner of public spaces into makeshift treatment hubs in a wartime-like effort to save as many people as possible. Now, as cases fall in many countries, public spaces are being changed once again—this time into mass vaccination hubs, where hundreds or even thousands of people can be inoculated against COVID-19 in a given day. Below, see some of the world’s most impressive makeshift COVID-19 vaccination hubs, from New York’s Citi Field to Moscow’s Krylatskoye Ice Palace to the United Kingdom’s Salisbury Cathedral. We’ve also included images from smaller, perhaps less remarkable venues, like high school gyms and a bus-turned-mobile vaccination unit. Combined, these facilities will play a critical role in ensuring the worst of the pandemic is behind us.   Valery Sharifulin—TASS/Reuters A temporary COVID-19...