Skip to main content

New top story from Time: Pfizer-BioNTech Have Started Testing Their COVID-19 Vaccine in Children Under 12

https://ift.tt/3vWOQjL

Alejandra and Marisol Gerardo are nine years old but already making a little bit of history. The twin sisters are among the first young children to get vaccinated with a COVID-19 shot in Pfizer-BioNTech’s study of its vaccine in kids under age 12.

Alejandra and Marisol had their blood drawn in the morning on March 24, then got their first dose of the two-dose vaccine later that afternoon. “Their primary concern was, ‘is it going to hurt,’” says their father, Dr. Charles Gerardo, chief of emergency medicine at Duke University School of Medicine. “They’re not too worried about the long term side effects; they’re looking at the moment, not the future.”

Testing the vaccine in younger children will answer critical questions about how much immunity the shots can provide, and potentially give parents and education officials more confidence in re-opening schools. While it appears that younger children don’t get as sick with COVID-19 as older teens and adults do, how these children’s immune systems respond to the virus, and to the vaccine, remains a black box. The trial will also help provide some clarity on those questions.

Pfizer-BioNTech says it will test the same vaccine that is currently authorized for emergency use in the U.S. for those 16 years and older, but this time in children aged six months to 11 years. The company is currently wrapping up a study of its two-dose shot in adolescents aged 12 to 15 years in the U.S. and Europe.

The latest pediatric trial will follow the same three-phased approach as the adult study, with Phase 1 involving 144 children aged five to 11 years at Duke, Boston Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and Johns Hopkins, who will all receive the vaccine but be randomly assigned one of three dosages. If the vaccine is safe in this age group, children aged two to four years will be tested, and if safe in that group, the youngest children from six months to two years will get the vaccine. Depending on the immune responses these children generate, the scientists at Pfizer-BioNTech will make a decision about the safest and most effective dose with which to proceed in its Phase 2 and Phase 3 studies.

Those will include a total of about 4,500 children broken down in the same age categories, this time randomly assigned to receive either the vaccine or placebo in a 2:1 ratio. The results will be analyzed after six months to determine if the children receiving the vaccine both generated a stronger immune response than those getting placebo, and that the response was on par with responses in vaccinated adults. If that’s the case, then Pfizer-BioNTech will submit the data to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to expand authorization to younger children, and hopefully start vaccinating them by early next year.

Dr. Emmanuel Walter, professor of pediatrics and chief medical officer at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute who is overseeing the trial there, says the study will answer important questions about the safety and dosing of the vaccine for children—specifically whether younger children will need a different dose than adolescents and adults. The trial will test a dose about one-third that of the current adult dose, another that is about half of the adult dose, as well as the adult dose. While the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 shot is the first mRNA technology-based vaccine of any kind to gain FDA authorization, Walter says it’s likely to be safe in children. “I don’t think it’s the platform so much that I would worry about for young children—I feel comfortable giving the mRNA to young children. I think the questions of will they have side effects, will the vaccine be tolerable to children, and do we need to use a smaller dose in young kids, are the biggest things.”

So far, Walter says that they have seen an “overwhelming” response to the pediatric trial, with parents like the Gerardos expressing interest in enrolling their children. Both Gerardo and his wife, who is an infectious disease physician at Duke, are vaccinated, and he says before his daughters joined the trial, they discussed volunteering with the girls. “They understand that the results are going to impact other kids, and that’s one of the lessons we wanted to teach them with this experience,” he says. “That this was one of the ways to contribute to help other people.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man killed in firing during violent protest in Rajasthan's Dungarpur https://ift.tt/3jkIGDz

Aman was killed in firing during the violent protest in Rajasthan's Dungarpur where tensions escalated further on Saturday evening forcing the state government to rush three senior police officers to the district to control the situation.

Good News! Modi govt may increase Rs 6,000 cash support under PM-KISAN for farmers https://ift.tt/38ModUY

The Budget session of Parliament will begin on January 29 with the address of President Ram Nath Kovind to the joint sitting of both the Houses. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will present the Union Budget on February 1.

New top story from Time: ‘It’s a Catastrophe.’ Iranians Turn to Black Market for Vaccines as COVID-19 Deaths Hit New Highs

https://ift.tt/3AODY94 In January, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei made the sudden announcement that American and British-made COVID-19 vaccines would be “forbidden” as they were “completely untrustworthy.” Almost nine months later, Iran is facing its worst surge in the virus to date — a record number of deaths and infections per day with nearly 4.2 million COVID-19 patients across the country , and a healthcare system near collapse. “It’s a catastrophe; and there is nothing we can do,” said an anesthesiology resident in one of Tehran’s public hospitals who due to the current surge is tasked to oversee the ICU ward for COVID-19 patients. “We can’t treat them nor help them; so all I can ask people to do is to stay home and do whatever it takes to not get exposed.” The doctor requested anonymity in order to speak freely; others interviewed by TIME asked to be identified only by their first name. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] The scale of the crisis is such ...

2+2 dialogue between India, US ahead of US Election conveys a lot about bilateral ties: Report https://ift.tt/37XFH0I

The 2+2 dialogue between India and the United States was held just a week before the presidential elections in the US and this conveys a lot about where bilateral ties between both the countries are heading. According to a Europe-based think tank, there is bipartisan recognition in the US of the need to counter Chinese belligerence and the 2+2 dialogue reflects the confidence that India and US have in the robustness of their relationship.

Former Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Arrested Over Corruption Charges Peter O'Neill was arrested by police at Jackson's International Airport in Port Moresby on Saturday after flying back from Brisbane, Australia, where he had been stranded because of Covid-19 lockdowns.

Peter O'Neill was arrested by police at Jackson's International Airport in Port Moresby on Saturday after flying back from Brisbane, Australia, where he had been stranded because of Covid-19 lockdowns. from Top World News- News18.com https://ift.tt/2WZWQRM https://ift.tt/2ytWMjJ Peter O'Neill was arrested by police at Jackson's International Airport in Port Moresby on Saturday after flying back from Brisbane, Australia, where he had been stranded because of Covid-19 lockdowns.

New top story from Time: Thinking About Buying a New Car? It May Be Smarter to Wait a Year—Or Longer

https://ift.tt/3zeivWQ Before the pandemic, Earl Stewart could count over 300 new cars sitting on the lot of his family’s Toyota dealership in South Florida on any single day. The high inventory meant customers could find the exact model and color they wanted for well below sticker price. But now, Stewart’s lot has just a fraction of the cars he had before, with inventory down to 31 as of Friday. That’s because a global shortage of semiconductor chips supplied primarily from Southeast Asia—where COVID-19 cases are among the highest in the world—has forced automakers to cut production. Nearly 20 auto factories have stopped or reduced production in recent weeks due to supply chain issues, affecting plants across the globe. At Ford’s Kansas City assembly plant, which builds the F-150 pickup and Transit van, employees were temporarily laid off for one week as they continue to wait for back-ordered chips to become available. General Motors announced it will temporarily stop produc...

Fake News: Says Trump on reports of paying $750 income taxes in 2016, 2017 https://ift.tt/3cCE7Sg

Donald Trump paid just USD 750 in federal income taxes in the year he was elected US president and also in his first year in the White House, according to a media report, which also said that he or his companies paid USD 145,400 taxes in India in 2017. Trump entered the 2016 presidential race as a Republican and was elected in a surprise victory over Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

The West may develop Covid vaccine first, but India to strategise supply chain https://ift.tt/368rQUc

A Covid vaccine could soon become a reality. The world is now gearing up for a rollout and working on developing infrastructure that serves the purpose to inoculate 7.5 billion people spread across seven continents. Anticipated to be the largest and fastest operation ever undertaken of vaccine production, procurement, and distribution, the momentous task requires proper strategy and a mechanism to save lives. While several countries lack this experience, India holds a distinction in the channelisation of a vaccine to its population, reminding the world about its success story of polio and tuberculosis.

Landlord Arrested for Killing Tenant Over Using 100-watt Bulb in Delhi's Harsh Vihar

The deceased identified as Jagdish was an e-rickshaw driver and lived with his wife and an eight-year-old daughter. from Top India News- News18.com https://ift.tt/2Zy2kET

PM Modi tears into Opposition, says Pulwama admission exposed real faces of those who politicized attack https://ift.tt/3oLq7eu

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday tore into the Opposition for politicising the Pulwama attack. The mention, at an event in Gujarat, came just days after Pakistan minister Fawad Chaudhry admitted that Pakistan was responsible for the Pulwama terrorist attack in Jammu and Kashmir in 2019 that killed 40 CRPF personnel and brought the two countries to the brink of a war. The prime minister said the admission by the neighbouring country has "exposed the real faces of those who did politics over the attack". Remembering the sacrifices of the bravehearts, he said that the country can never forget "how some people were looking for political gains when India lost its sons".