Skip to main content

New top story from Time: ‘Black Girls Fall in Love All the Time.’ Nicola Yoon on Her New Book Instructions for Dancing and the Importance of Diverse Love Stories

https://ift.tt/3bV6Lih

While writing her new book, Instructions for Dancing, bestselling author Nicola Yoon was struggling with the question of whether love is worth the pain of heartbreak.

In the five years since her last young-adult romance, National Book Award finalist The Sun Is Also a Star, was published, Yoon experienced what she describes as “one of the hardest times” in her life—a period during which her mother was ill and her father-in-law passed away. It was from this experience that the idea for Instructions for Dancing, out June 1, was born.

The story centers on Evie Thomas, a 17-year-old romance enthusiast whose faith in the lasting power of love has been shattered by her parents’ divorce. After a strange encounter leaves her with the magical ability to foresee how the relationships around her are destined to play out, she finds herself drawn into a local dance studio’s bid to win a citywide ballroom dance competition. But the more she gets to know her new dance partner, X, the more trouble she has denying her feelings for him.

TIME spoke with Yoon, who is also the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Everything, Everything, about the importance of diverse love stories, writing through heartbreak and the pressure of past success.

TIME: These characters come from a diverse range of backgrounds, but aren’t tied down to specific tropes. Why did you make that choice?

Yoon: It’s definitely a deliberate choice. A lot of times we write about underrepresented people, we write about race or not being accepted by your family because of your sexuality—we write stories of pain. And those aren’t the only stories of the world. We still need those stories, but we need other stories too. We need stories of joy and love and big, swooning romances. I always say that I don’t wake up every morning thinking about the struggle, because then I don’t get to have joy in my life. I wake up thinking about coffee and muffins and snuggling with my people. Of course I think about all the other stuff. But we only have one life and we deserve to have joy. It’s just not true to say that everything is pain all the time. And it’s certainly not true to depict it like that. People of color need a break. You watch the news and movies and so much of it is painful. It’s OK for us to read something else or feel something else sometimes.

You and your husband, novelist David Yoon, are co-publishers of Joy Revolution, a Random House young adult imprint dedicated to love stories starring people of color. What do you hope to accomplish with that mission?

I grew up reading love stories. I am a total romantic goober and I love love stories. But there weren’t any people of color in all of the stories I grew up loving. Or if there were, they were sidekicks like the sassy best friend or the truth-teller that the main character bounces ideas off of. I’d really like to see some love stories with a Black girl who’s strong and vulnerable and smart and sweet and the main character. Black girls fall in love all the time. I fell in love all the time when I was 16. We need a safe space for stories with girls who look like me and boys who look like my husband and people who are gay. So many times when I’m watching television and there’s a Black character, I’m automatically nervous that something bad is going to happen to them. I don’t want any of [Joy Revolution’s] books to be like that. I want everyone to feel like they’re in good hands when they pick up one of our books. There will be romantic ups and downs, but no one’s gonna die. There’ll be no police brutality. I really do think that’s important and that this imprint can change the world a tiny bit.

Was it cathartic to write a book that deals heavily with heartbreak and grief during such a difficult time in your own life?

I honestly don’t know the answer to that question. The conclusion I’ve come to is that love exists whether you want it to or not. Human beings have to love people—it’s just part of us. It’s like breathing. Writing it did help me process all the things I’ve gone through, but your family life is just so personal and you feel it so much. I needed to write the book, but I’m not cured or anything like that.

Evie’s not only well versed in romance tropes, but determined to steer clear of them in her own life. Did you find it challenging to write her as a romantic lead while still giving readers a satisfying love story?

I found a lot of things about writing this book challenging, but that was OK. I understood her being cynical and being a person who loved love and loved romance but had her mind changed because of the state of her world. I think the hardest part of writing the book for me was what I was going through personally. The question that Evie’s asking in the book is: Is love worth it when it makes us so vulnerable and we know relationships end? And that’s the question I was asking myself while I was writing because we had so many health issues in my family.

Both Everything, Everything and Instructions for Dancing explore the moment in your main characters’ lives when they realize their parents are human and therefore capable of making mistakes. What do you find compelling about that revelation?

One of the things you realize when you’re a teenager is that your parents are people. And it’s good to know that. I think you forge a deeper relationship with them once you realize they’re human and that if they’ve made mistakes and ended up OK, then it’s OK if you make them too. My little girl is nine and thinks I’m the best thing in the world and I’m dreading the moment that she realizes I’m really fallible. But I also know it will help her because if you think your parents are perfect, then you have to be perfect—and no one is.

Dance plays a powerful role in Evie and X’s love story. Do you have a personal connection to dance?

I love dancing. My husband and I took ballroom dancing classes before we got married and it was so fun. You have to just turn your brain off and make your body do these moves it’s not used to doing. So while I was researching the book, we took private lessons so I could bug our instructor about the details of how these dances work without annoying a group class. We learned bachata and Argentine tango and had such a good time. It’s a really romantic way of getting to know a person, which makes it special. I put [Evie] in dance class because I thought, she’ll have to be right next to the cute boy, within six inches of him, while trying to resist him, and that’s just fun.

What inspired you to put a fantastical spin on the story?

It goes back again to what I was going through with my family. When my mom was sick and my father-in-law was sick, I watched my dad and mother-in-law deal with the threat of losing someone they love. And it made me think about how all relationships end. There’s a ticking time clock on everything, including our own mortality. As humans, we try not to think about the fact that the people we love are going to die or we ourselves are going to die because you can’t live if you’re thinking about death all the time. But during that period of my life, I was really thinking about why we do this to ourselves. Why do we love someone so hard when we know we’re gonna lose them in some way at some point? I wanted Evie to think about that question because I was consumed with it, and it seemed like the best way for her to deal with it was to make it literal. So I gave her this superpower where she could see a couple’s relationship play out when she sees them kiss. She can see the wonderful, beautiful, happy beginning and the inevitable end. And what she originally takes from the superpower is that all relationships end and therefore aren’t worth it. I just made her go through what I was going through basically.

Would you ever consider writing a full-on fantasy book?

Yes, I would. I think it’s really hard to do, but I’m absolutely going to write a fantasy book.

Your last book, The Sun Is Also a Star, came out in 2016 and was a National Book Award Finalist. Since then, both The Sun Is Also a Star and Everything, Everything have been adapted into movies. Has that success put any added pressure on you?

Absolutely. I also feel a lot of pressure just because it’s been such a long time between books. The Sun Is Also a Star came out in 2016 and now we’re in 2021—after the longest year of all our lives. So I definitely feel a little bit of nervousness putting a new book into the world. There are so many more voices when you’ve had some success. There are a lot of people telling you that they either hate your books—and exactly what they hate about them—or they like them—and exactly what they like. Both things can be hard because if you focus on the bad then the temptation is, oh, I shouldn’t write about that anymore, and if you focus on the good then the temptation is, oh, I should only write about that. Quieting all the voices took me a long time. I had to get used to a new normal.

Are there any romance books coming out soon that you’re particularly excited for?

Here’s To Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera is coming out [this December]. I’m also really looking forward to While We Were Dating by Jasmine Guillory and One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As the city gradually reopens, mechanical street sweeping enforcement is set to resume

As the city gradually reopens, mechanical street sweeping enforcement is set to resume By Mayor London N. Breed and the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) today announced that the City will resume enforcement for parking violations related to street sweeping beginning on Monday, June 15. Mayor Breed had announced on March 17 that SFMTA would not ticket for street sweeping following the Stay Home Order for COVID-19 in order to allow people to stay home without worrying about receiving a parking ticket. While the City had still encouraged people to move their vehicles if they could, street sweeping crews from San Francisco Public Works continue to see a large number of vehicles failing to do so, as many as 18,000 per day. Resuming enforcement for mechanical street sweeping is necessary to ensure that streets remain clean as the City begins to allow more businesses and activities to resume. “At the beginning of the Stay Home Order we wanted to ensure that people wh...

New top story from Time: Sunisa Lee’s Incredible Journey to a Historic Olympic Gymnastics All-Around Gold Medal

https://ift.tt/3zRsjGq The women’s gymnastics all-around final at the Tokyo Olympics was the coronation everyone expected it to be. Only the star was different. After Simone Biles withdrew from the competition to prioritize her mental well-being, American Sunisa Lee stepped into the gaping void left by her iconic teammate and stepped up to win her first gold medal and Team USA’s fifth straight in the event. With a steely calm, the 18-year-old Minnesotan leaned on her consistent execution and a spectacular uneven bars routine—the hardest of any gymnast competing—to triumph in a competition that until days before had seemed a foregone conclusion. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] The absence of the defending gold medalist opened the door for the rest of the field, including Americans Lee and Jade Carey, who replaced Biles . “We were all coming in to compete for second place,” said Lee. “I just had to switch gears. I feel like the whole season I was second to her, so when th...

Gene Henderson: Honoring Muni’s First Black Division Manager

Gene Henderson: Honoring Muni’s First Black Division Manager By Jeremy Menzies In recognition of Black History Month, we bring you the story of Gene Henderson, the first Black man to become the head of a Muni bus division, Muni’s Kirkland Division. Henderson’s Background Gene Henderson was born in Houston, Texas, in 1916. He married his wife Naomi in 1939 and then served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Following the war, Gene and his family moved to San Francisco where he began his career at the San Francisco Municipal Railway. Early Career On February 1, 1946, Henderson was hired as a streetcar motorman out of Sutro Division, which was located on the corner of 32nd Ave. and Clement St. He was hired just five years after Muni’s first Black transit operator, Audley Cole, had successfully fought to integrate the carmen’s union in 1941. In his early days at Muni, Gene worked one of the three lines running out of Sutro Division from the Ferry Building to the Richmond District o...

New top story from Time: Militarized Feds Will Stay in Portland Until Attacks on the Federal Courthouse End, U.S. Attorney Says

https://ift.tt/305Lo8I (PORTLAND, Ore.) — U.S. militarized officers will remain in Portland until attacks on a federal courthouse cease, a top official said Monday after another night of violence. And more officers may soon be on the way. “It is not a solution to tell federal officers to leave when there continues to be attacks on federal property and personnel,” U.S. Attorney Billy Williams said. ”We are not leaving the building unprotected to be destroyed by people intent on doing so.” Local and state officials said the federal officers are unwelcome. Meanwhile, the mayors of Portland and five other major U.S. cities appealed Monday to Congress to make it illegal for the federal government to deploy militarized agents to cities that don’t want them. “This administration’s egregious use of federal force on cities over the objections of local authorities should never happen,” the mayors of Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Kansas City, Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Washington ...

New top story from Time: Who’s Ariarne Titmus? The Australian Swimmer’s Rivalry With Katie Ledecky Has Captivated Olympics Fans

https://ift.tt/3fdGe1v Before this week, many people knew Katie Ledecky as one of the most dominant names in swimming for the last decade. So they might have been surprised by the success of Australia’s 20-year-old Ariarne Titmus during the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, who has now bested Ledecky twice to snatch gold medals. In Tokyo, Titmus’ rivalry with Ledecky has been one of the most captivating parts of the Tokyo swimming program. The rivalry between the two star swimmers dates back to the 2019 world championship, when Titmus became the first woman to beat Ledecky at the international level. They’ll have one more chance to race in Tokyo, this time in the 800-m freestyle on July 31. She isn’t the favorite this time, however. Ledecky is undefeated in the 800 m, holding the fastest 24 times in the event’s history as well as the world and Olympic records, which she set during her winning race at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics . [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] Titmus, who gre...

New top story from Time: ‘If This Task Was Urgent Before, It’s Crucial Now.’ U.N. Says World Has 10 Months to Get Serious on Climate Goals

https://ift.tt/2ZUXNvk The language of diplomacy rarely allows for a true sense of emotion or urgency. But reading between the lines of the latest report commissioned by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)—the body representing the 197 member nations of the Paris Agreement to minimize a global average temperature rise this century—the message is clear. The world has precisely ten months to get our act together if there is to be any hope of staving off a climate catastrophe by the end of the century. If member nations are to achieve the Paris Agreement target of limiting global temperature rise above preindustrial levels by 2°C—ideally 1.5°C—by 2100, they must redouble efforts and submit stronger, more ambitious goals to reduce carbon emissions, according to the report. The document tabulates the national climate action plans [NDCs], of each member nation. The NDCs, which were due at the end of 2020, are essentially blueprints laying out emis...

New top story from Time: Google’s Employee Vaccine Mandate Could Influence Other Companies to Do the Same

https://ift.tt/3BQnXRv (SAN RAMON, Calif.) — Google is postponing a return to the office for most workers until mid-October and rolling out a policy that will eventually require everyone to be vaccinated once its sprawling campuses are fully reopened in an attempt to fight the spreading Delta variant. In a Wednesday email sent to Google’s more than 130,000 employees, CEO Sundar Pichai said the company is now aiming to have most of its workforce back to its offices beginning Oct. 18 instead of its previous target date of Sept. 1. The decision also affects tens of thousands of contractors who Google intends to continue to pay while access to its campuses remains limited. [time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”] “This extension will allow us time to ramp back into work while providing flexibility for those who need it,” Pichai wrote. And Pichai disclosed that once offices are fully reopened, everyone working there will have be vaccinated. The requirement will be first imposed at Goog...

New top story from Time: 11 Moments From Asian American History That You Should Know

https://ift.tt/330kaRq More than 30 years after President George H.W. Bush signed a law that designated May 1990 as the first Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month , much of Asian American history remains unknown to many Americans—including many Asian Americans themselves. Often the Asian-American history taught in classrooms is limited to a few milestones like the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 and the incarceration of people of Japanese descent during World War II, and that abridged version rarely includes the nearly 50 other ethnic groups that make up the fastest-growing racial and ethnic group in the U.S. in the first two decades of the 21st century . To many, the resulting lack of awareness was highlighted after the March 16 Atlanta spa shootings that left six women of Asian descent dead. The killings fit into a larger trend of violence against Asians failing to be seen or charged as a hate crime , even as leaders lamented that “racist attacks [are]… no...

New top story from Time: U.S. Agents to Pull Back in Portland But Will Remain on Standby

https://ift.tt/3gclOEH (PORTLAND, Ore.) — The Trump administration and Oregon leaders declared victory after it was announced that U.S. agents guarding a federal courthouse during violent demonstrations in Portland will pull back, but it wasn’t clear the agreement will reduce tensions that have led to more than two months of protests. Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said Wednesday agents with U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement will begin leaving the city’s downtown area on Thursday, but Acting Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security Chad Wolf wouldn’t specify where they would go. He insisted a federal presence would remain in Portland until the Trump administration was assured the agreement was working and the Oregon State Police was sufficiently protecting federal property. Many demonstrators are peaceful, but smaller numbers have thrown fireworks, flares, rocks and ball bearings at federal agents, used green lasers to blind them ...

New top story from Time: The U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Team Is Still the Favorite in Tokyo. But There’s Little Room for Error

https://ift.tt/3zx2o6o Coming into the Tokyo Olympics , most of the gymnastics community agreed about one thing—Team USA’s women were the ones to beat. As the reigning Olympic champions, the U.S. is returning to defend its title with one of the greatest gymnasts in the sport, Simone Biles . The team also builds off a legacy of Olympic titles that dates back to 1996. Couple that with funding and organizational struggles in former powerhouse countries like Romania and China in recent years—this is the second Olympics at which Romania failed to qualify a team—and the U.S. is practically a shoo-in. But as the qualification round at the Ariake Gymnastics Center in Tokyo made abundantly clear on July 25, much of the strength of the Team USA women’s gymnastics squad rests squarely on Biles’ shoulders. She stepped out of bounds in two of her best events—floor and vault. Other teammates struggled as well, which put the U.S. more than a point behind the Russian athletes (competing as ...